Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Ugh. This old woman at my work came up to Dr. Miller and asked him if he could help her granddaughter get into UCSF Med school. It was so gross. This woman is really pushy, and she always calls in sick and complains all the time... it's gotten to the point where I don't even ask her how she is anymore. She's *nice* but just talking to her is so draining. Anyway, she started going into how her granddaughter is studying for the MCATs and gets good grades and she goes to UC Davis and she volunteers at the UCD Med Center in Sacramento, and she got to see the ER. Oooh.

And I know what BS all of this is! I've volunteered at two hospitals, and at both of them kids were premeds and had no real responsibility, and didn't really learn much about medicine. And thus didn't really care about volunteering. Yes, this includes me. I knew nothing about being a doctor until I worked at UCSF. I'm serious. And this girl doesn't either. She has her grandma and probably her parents pressuring her to do it, and maybe she wants to, but that's beside the point.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the BS. I know Dr. Miller has nothing to do with admissions, and he tried explaining this to the woman, but she kept on pushing: "Do you know anybody on the admissions committee? Is there anything you can do? Bla bla..." She was admissions-grubbing, the way premeds grub for grades. It's so gross! People will do anything to get into med school. People's GRANDMAS will do anything to get them in. Well, it will all change in about 15 years or so when malpractice insurance and managed care drives everyone away, and the next generation loses its reverent awe of medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home