Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

This blog originated as a place for my musings on Instant Messenger, and today I'm returning to those humble roots for a moment...

Sometimes AIM is the perfect communication medium. If you need to dash off a quick note, or send a link to a few friends, or want to idly chat with an acquaintance, it's perfect. You don't have the opportunity to be as eloquent as you might in an email, but it's faster and easier for a lazy girl like me.

However, lately I've noticed that AIM just doesn't cut it when you want to talk about anything of real consequence. Implications get lost, and while smilies help, it's hard to know whether the person you're talking to is happy, sad, irritated, enthralled, miffed. Furthermore, how do you know whether someone who doesn't respond to your IM is ignoring you, or busy talking to someone else, or is simply in another room? (Of course, back in the day we played games that took our entire screens, so that was something to consider as well.)

So I've been trying to talk on the phone more. I feel like it's a better means of communication... you can get a lot more in the way of a person's emotional state on the phone. Also, there's little to no chance of my IM Alli-imposter masquerading as me on my own cell phone. Heh. Of course, the holy grail of communication is face to face, but that's not always possible, is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home