Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

I'm feeling uncreative now, but it's been a few days since I last posted... here's something I wrote a few months ago. I like it.

Tonight as I stood on my rooftop and looked at the city skyline... my God, it was so beautiful. I was moved. I get emotional (not weepy or teary or anything, just full of emotion) sometimes, when I'm struck by beauty. And I love the feeling, I allow it to fill me. I feel as if the moment is mine, since I'm the only one there to behold it. In kind of a Descartes way, the view tonight was just for my enjoyment... when I went inside, it could have ceased to exist and nobody would have been any the wiser. Less work for God to do that night. But while I was standing there, it had to exist, since I was seeing it. And it was all mine.

I realized that the most beautiful, emotional moments I've had in life are ones where I have been alone. Maybe if I were the only person on the planet, I'd never have the sudden rush of elation when listening to music, waiting for the #2 bus. Just knowing that I have a beautiful moment all to myself, and that there ARE other people, but they can't have this part of me, this moment... So I depend on other people as outsiders to my spiritual experiences. I need them to not understand me. Isn't it tragic? The part of me I consider most beautiful is also the part I don't share.

Well, I'm sharing it now. I hope someone out there understands what I mean.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home