Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I love it here in SF, but sometimes it's just an effed up city.

This morning, as I was walking to the gym, it was fall. Fall in January. What else would one expect, considering it's winter in July and November boasted a high temp of 90 degrees this year? Anyway, the three trees in my neighborhood decided to drop their dry leaves this week. As I walked through the mess the leaves scraped, but they didn't crunch. If they had fallen on a bed of grass, the leaves would have stayed in one spot and crunched satisfyingly under my feet. Unfortunately, the "urban forest" comprises about 10 trees total choked at the trunk by concrete, so what I got was leaves sliding around, scraping the cement as I half kicked them. To the residents of Pacific at Hyde: I apologize if you were awakened by my leaf-scrapings this morning at 5:45am. Please be assured that by next week it will be time for the Fall rains to begin and the leaves will be gone or soggy.

---

There's this unspoken maxim that wearing perfume in a gym earns you the enmity of all. I never really understood why... until this morning in Spinning. This woman next to me was wearing the same vanilla-y lotion that my old PI, Vivian, used to wear. For 45 minutes all I could think of was how that scent used to mean that she was arching over me, looking at my research progress in my lab notebook, twitching disapprovingly. Very stressful, even in my memory. Oh God, I think I smell it again. Damn you, spin girl!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home