Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Monday, May 09, 2005


I can sing again! Now that the coughing has completely subsided, my vocal cords are happy and my voice has returned to its former glory. Uh. At any rate I no longer sound like a caterwauling emphysemic everytime I belt out Britney.

So last night I sang with Ben Folds. It was amazing. Just him on piano, and me singing... and about 500 other people too. But they were kind of in the background. Really it was just me singing along to some badass songs. I have been practicing the piano pretty religiously since the beginning of the year (when I took it up again after a twelve year hiatus), so I think there was this one point where he was going to let me take over the keys. Of course, I demurred, because people came to see him play, not me. I'm not conceited.

Seriously though, Ben rocked. It was my third time seeing him in concert, and my first without Alyssa and the Fillmore. Alyssa is in Romania right now, and the Fillmore is still in SF on Geary. Couldn't bring it with me to DC. :o( But I have a new concert buddy, Adriane, who is about the same height as Lyss and me, and is therefore doomed to share our fate: the shadow of the Oaf.

Why do really tall guys feel the need to park in front of me at concerts? I think I'm going to make a shirt just for wearing to concerts that says "Tall people go here" on the back. Or bring a stepstool to stand on. Adriane and I both broke our backs from standing on tip toe to see the stage!

Cost of concert: $35
Concert T-shirt: $20
Cost of transportation: $15 (cab home... damn you Metro!)
Cost of back surgery: $10,000 (actually it would be free since we're military, and I'm exaggerating, but still)

The diagram above demonstrates the painstaking accuracy with which the Oaf blocks my Ben viewage. (Note: Adriane had a similar Oaf in front of her. It would have made the diagram busier to have two shorties and two Oafs. Just remember, for every shorty there is an equal and opposite Oaf blocking her view.)

6 Comments:

  • At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been waiting for the opportunity to post a comment, and maybe this isn't the best foot to start off with, but ...

    I'd seriously rethink wearing a shirt that says "tall people go here" on the back. I just have a bad feeling that too many Oafs would interpret it in a more sexual context.

    Also, your blog is awesome. These recent entries are definitely among the more cleverer. I actually laughed out loud an a couple occasions (eliciting odd looks from the apartment office staff ... yeah I don't have Internet access yet). Also quite insightful at times. The LOL-inducing sentences:

    1. I have no idea what the soap I bought is supposed to smell like, but it's yellow.

    2. Furthermore, because you are eating only once a day, you become drunker faster. This actually makes it approximately four times as cheap to eat once a day.

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks, Z... this is kinda like a dance party.

    Alli

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1. I have no idea what the soap I bought is supposed to smell like, but it's yellow

    hahhahahahahahaha alli you are my favorite

     
  • At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww! I was looking at your diagram and thinking, Wow, that's just like when Alli and I went... and then I saw my name, which has seriously made my week (and some really good things have happened to me this week, too). I was thinking of you this morning... drop me an email sometime and let me know the juicy stuff, if there's any.

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That last message was from me, sorry I'm an idiot. I can't even blame it on being blond anymore because I'm not really.
    Love,
    Lyssie

     
  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger Alli said…

    Oh, I knew it was you! Man, you would have loved the concert. He had the audience singing backup vocals in three part harmony to "Not the Same/" It sounded amazing, and then he just conducted us singing our part for about five minutes acapella. Apparently DC is chock full of undiscovered vocal talent.

    Miss you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home