Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Friday, March 19, 2004

What would you do if you were 12 weeks pregnant (work with me here, fellas) and you discovered you had cancer? Let's say it was breast cancer. You can either undergo treatment for cancer, probably including chemotherapy and/or radiation, which would kill your baby. Or you could keep the child and hope that once your baby is born it's not too late to save your life.

I'm sure some people will say, it depends on how serious the cancer is, or whether it's your first child, how old you are, et cetera. So you have my permission to simplify it to this: would you die for your child to live?

It's not just an emotional thing. We're subject to a strong evolutionary drive to keep our DNA propagating. This drive influences altruistic behavior among groups, which is kind of the same thing. Only in this case, you're not only giving up your life for kin, you're sacrificing yourself for DNA that is at least 50% identical to your own.

I know it's a little early for me and my peers to be thinking about the "what ifs" of parenthood. Anyway, it's an interesting little thought experiment for y'all on a Friday morning. Go ahead and email or IM me with your thoughts. Personally, I'd bite the bullet and bear the kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home