Stuff that's too long for my AIM profile

Not self-indulgent in the least.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Smith vs. Snow

One thing is true: there is nothing valuable about snow. The way I see it, snow is water that's biounavailable. It's beauty is fleeting; if it sticks around for more than a day is becomes grayer and uglier than Momma's hair from "Momma's Family." Or if the sun comes out, it melts into a slippery layer of ice, rendering wintertime running impossible.

I went out for a run today on my favorite route, the Capitol Crescent Trail, and I got about half a mile into it when I had to stop: the whole trail was covered with nasty iciness. I turned and ran the other way up the trail, only to meet the same sight a mile up that way. Resignedly, I turned home and fought my way through the cold. (Did I mention it's cold?) What a waste! I don't know why they even bother selling cold weather running gear here. They should sell crutches and splints for the broken legs you'll get attempting to run on the ice.

Another potentially bad thing about my run. Before I left, I was debating whether or not to wear this hat my roomie lent me. I wanted something to cover my ears, but the hat didn't really do the trick. I think she thought I didn't want to wear it because it looked silly, though. She tried to convince me to wear it, and I kept refusing, until she finally relented and said, "Alli, you're so Californian." I think it might have been an insult.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First - wrong

    Second - running in the snow is awesome

    third - snow = better then not snow

    fouth - cold = better then hot

    fifith - wrong

    sixth - snow is great! there is no such thing as bad snow except maybe that brown stuff on the road or maybe beer cans that stupid snow mobilers drop all over the place.

    seventh - snow = alaska, and alaska is good (much better then silly "golden states"

    eighth - you cant have frozen waterfalls without cold and therefore you cant go ice climbing

    ninth - mountains have snow and mountains are cool

    tenth - reptiles are cool, but they dont like snow oh well (you can get salmonella from them anyways)

    eleventh - many more reasons i am getting bored now.

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Alli said…

    Except...

    There is no snow in Laos, therefore no snow in the parasite book. Laos is cool.

    And I'm not wrong, how can I be wrong when I'm right. And it is Staph aureus.

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ... you could not be more right. Snow sucks. I have a five-minute walk to school and it's caused me to be religious as now a solid ten minutes of my day are devoted to the Lord and my humble requests not to fall on my ass and break my tailbone.
    Did I mention I'm walking in boots? Tractionless boots? Why am I wearing tractionless boots? BECAUSE I HAVE TO. How people here are still upright and not wheelchair-bound is a complete mystery to me.
    -Alyssa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home